Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sewing Swap Part 3

For my last Create Kids Couture sewing swap partner I had to make an outfit in a size 2, I knew just what pattern I was going to use. Every time I look through my patterns I see The Madeline Dress by Me Sew Crazy and think it's so cute but neither of my girls would fit into the sizes it's available in.

I had the material on hand and decided to make the dress. The material for the skirt looks like it's different stripes of material pieced together but it's just one piece of cotton and the bodice is the red and black abstract pattern that is on the skirt. The top arc bodice is a black with a white design on it. The buttons on the back are vintage black buttons I found at a store in Michigan while on vacation there this past summer.

There are 2 options of sewing the bodice portion and I really wish I had read through them both and then made the decision, but I'm horrible about reading through the entire pattern and then getting started! The way I constructed it left an exposed seam between the bodices under the arms, but I tacked it down so it shouldn't be seen. After I had put the skirt onto the bodice I just thought the dress looked so short to be an actual dress so I checked and rechecked the skirt length and I cut it out correctly. Since I thought it was so short but didn't have a size 2 to try the dress on, I also made a pair of black Go To Leggings to wear underneath it. Turned out to be a great decision because it was too short to be worn like a dress

Turned out to be a very cute tunic top, just have to figure out if there has been some issues with the actual measurements of the skirt part and why mine was so short. I hope my sewing swap partner enjoyed the outfit. It was such a fun experience to be a part of, not knowing what your partner was going to make for your kiddo, getting a package in the mail, and the surprise pattern and materials chosen. Almost like Christmas for the sewing world!




No comments: