Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sewing Swap Part 1

This past month I participated in a Sewing Swap with Create Kids Couture. I sent in my kids sizes and we were paired up with someone by location, size and gender. I was crazy and sent in all 3 of my kids sizes so I got 3 different swap partners. We started the swap by talking to our partners about needs and likes and then we each just took if from there and surprised each other.

The first item I made for the swap is for a little boy who likes anything that moves and his favorite color is orange. Sewing for boys is a little harder than sewing for girls just because finding boy material is difficult and not as many selections. I hit the fabric stores looking for something I just couldn't live without. I found an orange and white houndstooth at Hobby Lobby I thought would make a good accent color for the pants and shirt I imagined making. After a little more hunting I found a dark denim with a little stretch for the pants and a light blue fabric with airplanes on it for the shirt.

For the pants I used the Pocket Pants pattern in Growing Up Sew Liberated in size 5. I used the dark denim for the pants and the orange/white houndstooth as an accent on the waistband, cuffs, and around the pockets. The pants are long on my son but look fine when rolled up and I had to use a lot smaller piece of elastic for them to fit around his waist!






For the shirt I used The Easy Linen shirt in Sewing for Boys size 4/5. The airplane material was used for the main part of the shirt and the orange/white houndstooth as the accent neck band. I found the sleeves were very long for my son who has just started wearing 5T.



 The finished outfit that I hope my swap partner and her son enjoy, I loved it so much I made 2 of them so my son could have the outfit also! Thank goodness my swap partner lives in Virginia and they won't be seen wearing the same thing!


Photobucket


1 comment:

Kathlyn said...

My son loves it!! Thank you SO much!!