Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Fun

Boo! It was raining off and on here all night, but my kiddos didn't seem to mind they only went to about 7 houses! I wonder when that will end? They were more excited to hand out the candy and sneak a piece here and there.

Sums up my kiddos: L could care less, T is hamming it up and O is on the move!

This year L wanted to be Jesse from Toy Story, so I typed in DIY Jesse costumes and thank goodness I was up on Breaking Bad because that's what popped up with maybe one or two pics of Jesse from Toy Story mixed in. I headed to the second hand shop to buy her a white button up shirt and jeans because she doesn't own either. As I was searching I came across this amazing red hat and some white fur like material, bingo! I brought it all home and started working on L's Jesse costume. I took the red hat and replaced the red ribbon with white and punched holes in the edges to lace white yarn through. The white fur material, I used black paint mixed with fabric medium and painted black spots to give it that cow hide look. I used yellow felt to make the top of her shirt and around the cuffs, then I added red ribbon to the felt, and I finished it off with using white and grey felt to make the oversized buttons on her shirt and cuffs. After the paint was dry I cut the white fur material to fit on the front of the jeans. When I realized it was going to shed like a huge dog I had some black bias tape and wrapped the edges in that to tone down the shedding! I sewed the top and bottom to the jeans with my machine and then went back and hand stitched the sides down. I did go and buy the belt and boots from a local farm supply store, but I've been wanting to get her a pair of boots for awhile now so that was my excuse.

Red felt hat, great find at thrift store!

White fur material I painted to look like cow hide.

Added yellow felt and red ribbon to top of shirt.

Sewed cuff on the wrong side of cuff, then flipped it over so shirt wasn't so long.

Chaps on jeans after binding them.

Giddy Up!

T this year couldn't make up his mind: a puppy, a boy unicorn, something from Monsters Vs. Aliens, a lion, etc, etc! At the end of September I told him that was it, he had to figure it out so I could make it. He picked a black cat! Which worked out great because L was a black cat 2 years ago and it's actually a costume my Mom made for me when I was younger, we just had to add the tail that went missing! I picked up some face paint crayons and he was set.

Black cat, don't let him cross your path!

I thought for O it would be nice if we didn't have to carry her but she could ride in the wagon and I remember seeing somewhere a mouse in a mouse trap. I actually found a gray hoodie and added felt ears and a felt pink belly to it, super easy and fast. I used a large cardboard box to make the top of the "mouse trap" that would just sit on the wagon with a hole cut out where she was sitting. It really turned out so cute but she wanted nothing to do with riding in a wagon so she started ripping the mouse trap up! Plus it was raining here tonight so we nixed the wagon idea but she was the cutest little mouse ever. She wanted to hand out the candy so bad to all the trick or treaters, when she wasn't trying to eat through the candy wrappers.

Cutest mouse ever!

We did carve pumpkins Monday after school, well I can't say we really carved them, we cleaned out 2 of the 3. At 5 tonight I remembered we never carved them, so my husband gave the pumpkins faces at 5:30, right before our first trick or treaters! Why is it that I always forget how much I hate to carve pumpkins, maybe it's like child birth! You know, going through it, it's the worse thing ever but there you are doing it again. All the bad memories have been completely erased and you only remember the good. Every year it takes forever to cut the top off then the kids are cool with digging out the guts for about 2.5 minutes and then who's left to finish and clean up, Oh yeah, that would be me! Someday they will do it all by themselves, right?

The 2.5 minutes they are interested in the pumpkin!

Even though I dislike carving pumpkins it does make for some cute photos!


No comments: